Thursday, April 9, 2009

Post 18- Germany PT 1 - Mainz

With our program, our Spring Break was set to be March 26 – April 7. This is 13 days long.

My Spring Break was planned before I left for England. My dad and I bought plane tickets to Germany to spend time with family and take a road trip through the southern half of Germany.

 

I thought I would split these 13 days into 2 blogs. The 4 days in Mainz with the family, and then the 6-day road trip with my dad and the last 3 days in Mainz.

 

So,

 

My flight was very early morning on Thursday the 26. I went to London with Angela the previous day. I met her at school when she got out, and we were off. In London, we didn’t have much time, because of certain confusions about where our hotel was.. but we ended up in the rich, posh area of London, and decided to see Harrods, because it was a few blocks away. Harrods is the famous super upscale mall. We didn’t really walk through the mall, but just the food section because there was so much to see just there. We ate quick hand-held food and then had ice cream. Ice cream at Harrods is pretty spectacular. It was HUGE and beautiful and expensive.

 

Then we went to meet Angela’s family at the airport and to the hotel. I just bummed a night with them, and was off in the morning before they woke up.

 

My flight was short, but there was so much waiting before hand. I even took a nap at the airport.

 

My dad and my dad’s cousin met me at the airport in Frankfurt, and we drove to Mainz, where they live.

 

My dad and I spent the first 4 days in Mainz with the family.

 

 

The family consists of my great aunt Raya, who was my grandpa’s sister.

 

Her son Jenya (that would be Eugene in English, but he doesn’t go by that), his wife Ziida,

 

and their son (my second cousin) Stan, who I met last summer when he studied in LA for a month.

 

They all, especially the grandma, were so happy to see us. The first night we had 2 dinners, one from the grandma, one from the mom. It was great, but man, do Russian people stuff you with food.

 

Seeing Mainz was cool. It’s a very nice city. As scared as I was about not knowing a word of German, soooo many people speak English there. (Well, we only traveled to the more tourist visited areas..)

We also took a day trip to Koln (Cologne in English) with Jenya and Ziida.

 

Here are some pictures of Mainz, Koln and the surrounding areas:

 

 

For some reason, every church/cathedral in Germany always has 2 tower. Every one.

 

And we spent time with the grandma. She is so interested in our lives in America.

We walked by the river with her and she was full of questions for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment