Sunday, January 25, 2009

Post 2 - First Day













Sunday, January 25, 2009

 

Firstly, I got a cell phone here. It is not the best way to call me, but in case of an emergency, this is the phone I will always have on me. 00 44 07963829436.

 

Well, first real day in Bath is over.

 

So yesterday, Friday, we got off the plane and took a 2-hour bus ride to Bath.

My host mom picked me up. Her name is Julie. It was kind of funny: on our drive home, she goes, “This might seem rude, but my two boys spend one night with their dad once every two weeks, and it is my only night to go out. This happens to be tonight, so I have plans with my girlfriend.” (This is, of course, the American way I would say that sentence. I would I could remember how she said it to relay that to you. I know she used the word “fortnight” more than once in there. I don’t even know what that means; I only recognize it from a Demetri Martin joke.) Anyway, the first night was actually great. I had the house to myself to unpack and go to bed early.

My house: 









I went to bed at 8:30 pm and got up the next morning at 8:30 am. Nice 12 hours for me :)

 

First real day in Bath. We met Mari, our travel agent at 11 am at the Bath Abbey. The Abbey is this enormous church.









She then took us on a tour of the downtown area to show us all the main sites that we need to know, such as the pharmacy, police office, our classroom, etc. No history lessons today, just the essentials.

 

Then with 15 people trying to find phones together, it took us 3 hours to get phones. I got a cute little Nokia. When that crazy ordeal was over, I stopped at a Pasty store to buy food. I had a chicken pasty. ß Notice there is no R, if anyone read “pastry”. A pasty was a handheld potpie, like a hot pocket, but not microwave junk food. It was pretty good, I think a different flavor would have been even better.

 

I spent the rest of my night at my FIRST ENGLISH PUB! I decided to skip the beer today, since I don’t like it much, although I will have to get one in the upcoming day.. cant go to an English pub and not get a beer. The prices there were pretty cheap.

Our first English friend joined us at the pub. His name is Jenson and he works at the cell phone store we got our phones. Had to deal with like 12 of us, and we took up so much of his time, so we invited him our and Julian, a guy in our group, offered to buy him a beer, a deal Jenson could not refuse!!  (He's the one doing the peace sign)

 








Taking the bus home at night in a town I do not know was a great way to end the night!

 

Talk to ya soon, peeps.

 

- Your favorite Russian,

Aleks

 

FUN FACT OF THIS BLOG: Speed bumps are called “Sleeping Policemen”

1 comment:

  1. Hey Aleks,

    Your trip sounds awesome! I'm excited that you're blogging about it too :) Sorry we missed your going away party- too many parties in the same night :( Anyway, just so you know- a fortnight is two weeks. Having an mom who's English helps in the most random ways :)

    Suzy

    ReplyDelete